Saturday, September 23, 2006

Return to Potlatch

90.8 km today, 123.9 km total

Got up about 0645, underway by 0715. Cool and foggy this morning. Stopped at a grocery for donuts and juice, eating on a bench outside. The fog burned off soon, and it was nice and sunny the rest of the day. The bike was having intermittent weird shifting problems, and I stopped several times to fiddle with the cable tension. After starting out from one stop, the frame wildly swayed, and I discovered the lower S&S coupling was totally loose! First time that has happened. I've added checking those to my daily pre-ride checklist. It was shifting much better once that was tightened, but I'm sure with all my fiddling things need further adjustment soon.

I had a nice ride along forested backroads, then along Hood Canal. Stopped at Twanoh State Park for a break and to cook up some lunch.


Later, riding through Union, I saw a sign for a salmon bake going on at the fire hall, and wished I had held off a bit for lunch. But decided maybe I'd return for an early dinner after setting up camp.

Followed a pair of bald eagles down the road for a km or so, and admired the views of the Olympics and the wetlands of the Great Bend.

Rolled into Potlatch State Park about 1245, set up camp, and wandered a bit to see what had changed (not much), and talked briefly with the ranger. I spent a couple of summers working here while in college, so it was interesting to see it again.

Around 1400 I was getting hungry again, so decided to check out the salmon bake (one of the advantages of traveling by bike, you get to eat at least 2 times as much as you normally would). For $10 had a bunch of good food: salmon, corn, potatoes, coleslaw, cornbread, blackberry cobbler, and icecream, plus lemonade and iced tea. Mostly an older crowd, but I chatted briefly with a few of the locals.

Headed back to the park, showered, did laundry, and then hung out at a picnic table by the water, drying my clothes and studying Spanish. A bit chilly once it got dark, so made some tea before sleeping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home